domingo, 26 de julio de 2009

MY DISCOURSE ON DIABETES

When I was 8 years old and my follow up brother had 6, after many wrong diagnosis and a diabetic coma, he was diagnosed with diabetes type 1 (also known as Insulin-dependent diabetes, Juvenile diabetes). Doctors said the most outrageous things about the condition (one even said he couldn't receive sun light or do exercise ever again). It wasn't until he went to the USA that he realized the real terms of diabetes and how his life was about to change, but not like the other doctors said.
His life changed, but his been living for almost 15 years with diabetes and hasn't experiences complications aside from one seizure when he was just adapting. I attribute the control that he has over his lifestyle to my mom. When she accepted his condition she never looked back. She got informed, she met with different doctors, she even began to create a diabetes foundation. It's only natural that when met other mothers in her situation, she found some that couldn't afford the expenses and that were misinformed, basically completely lost.
Since then she focused on helping these families with the medicines, information and control of their children. Later on the foundation was moved to Quito and now a days she's still involved. She visits recently diagnosed kids and provide all the guide she can to them and their families.
She was always motivating me to get involved, but I always found a loop hole and got out if it.
But now I finally decided to go with her to one visit and it changed me.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario