domingo, 26 de julio de 2009

COGNITIVE SURPLUS



MY PERSONAL REFLECTIONS ON THE VIDEO

What are your personal reflections about this video?
Mr. Shirky is going in the correct way accordingly to what I think an individual should represent in his/her society. I agree with the fact that media has been underestimating us for far too long and now it's undeniable, we are producers an as much as we like consuming our nature compels us to do and share our product. Now with that said, there is something we should add to his project. How great would it be if this producing was taking place during social labor? Not just anything as Shirky suggests, but specifically a discourse that is ment to change our society, that fullfills us as human beings. That would truly be the ultimate use of our cognitive surplus. just priceless.

Has it challenged you to think about your activities and how you spend your free time?
Between classes and work I have little time for my self. I tend to spend it with my loved ones. Actually this semester I feel I've become more of a producer because of the different requirements. There's this one class in which we have to create our own material for children's early stimulation and I've combined my new ecological consciousness in recycling material and using it wisely so I won't spare it. I still have some trouble with cutting down my T.V hours I'm an addict. I really need to stop watching some programs that make me feel nauseous afterward ha ha.
Are you primarily a consumer or do you produce and share as much or more than you consume?
I consume more than I produce. When I get a backyard and start a plantation maybe I will be able to say it's a tie.

Does it help you appreciate the social action you are doing for this class?
It makes me feel like I am making an impact and it doesn't matter if what I'm doing is entirely correct. The thing is I'm doing something and for all the right reasons. On top of that it's a selfless act and whatever the outcome I will learn from it.

3 comentarios:

  1. Melissa - This is a wonderful entry! I can't believe you watch programs that make you feel nauseous! That is crazy. In any case, that is the real dilema because we need to ween ourselves off these consumerist addictions and start exercising our production muscles. I am so glad that your community service project has helped you start with this and has helped you reflect on a more meaningful life.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. It does help me. And some of the presentations we saw also made me realize I shouldn't wait to start making a difference in my life and the society. Sometime we procrastinate for so long that when we finally snap out of our numbness it's too late. Hopefully I can improve my contribution to society and my service will get better, and I can get in the way of living what you called "a more meaningful life".

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Melissa - You have done a wonderful job with this blog for the time that you spent doing social action. I know that you are very busy and that finding time for this was difficult but from what I can see in this blog it was worth it. We always need to find time to do social action because it connects to what is real and it helps us reflect on what is important.

    ResponderEliminar